Tuesday, January 28, 2014

All Mommies are DIFFERENT!!

Yesterday, I shared my very first blog.  I almost didn't post it on Facebook.  I  was nervous about what people would think…basically what I try and teach my kids not to do.  I still struggle with this everyday.  The truth is, I have no idea what I am doing.  When I had Kamdyn, I was nowhere near ready to be a parent.  I was too young, too selfish, and very immature.  I always joked about how God knew that we weren't ready for kids, so he gave us the perfect child.  By the time we had Kalyn, it had been so long that we could barely remember everything we went through.  Luckily, Kalyn was a great baby, just like her big sister.  As the girls grow and change every day, I wonder if I am doing everything I can for them.  After attending a few class parties for Kamdyn, I discovered that I am not the typical Johnson County mom.  I wear sweats everyday and rarely wear makeup.  I work the night shift and am not able to make all the PTA meetings and events.  I hate that I am not able to make such creative snacks for birthdays.  I wish I could participate in the parties more.  Unfortunately, I am not creative and I sleep during most days (because of my job).  I have to remind myself that all moms are different.  My kids are my world, and I will do whatever I can for them.  Right know, that includes working three nights a week.  I try to be as involved as much as I can, spending as much time as possible with them.  I can only hope I am teaching them the right things.  I pray that I am disciplining them enough, but not too much.  I want my kids to respect others, but I don't want them to be doormats.  Being a mom is so much harder than I ever expected.  Over the years, I have learned that other moms feel the same pressures.  We all question ourselves.  Are we doing enough?  Are we doing too much?   All we want is the best for our kids.  BUT it gets sticky. What I think is the best for my kids and the way I choose to raise them may be completely different from what you feel is best for your kids.  This is FINE.  However, many moms feel the need to give advice on how to raise your kids.  Everything seems to be a competition.  Other moms will tell you "nicely" the way you should actually be doing things.  Why does it have to be this way??  It drives me bonkers!!! Our kids are all different.  We are all different.  We all have different ways to handle things, and we all have different beliefs.  Moms should all be supporting each other not tearing each other down.  I have been lucky enough to find a group of moms who all support one another.  We don't all do things the same way, and we all question ourselves daily.  Some choose public school, some choose private, and others choose to homeschool.  All are great options.  Like I said before, I have no idea what I am doing.  I stress about it everyday, but I do my best.  I want my kids to know that I can be their friend, but I am their parent first.  They need to know that they have to work hard for the things they want; nothing is going to be handed to them.  I want my girls to know that I love them more than anything, but there will be limits.  I will tell them NO and they will probably hate me at times.  That's just the way life is.  I went through this roller coaster with my mom, as I'm sure, many have.  My mom is now my best friend.  Even through the roller coaster times, we were extremely close.  I hope to have the same relationship with my girls…I'd be okay with skipping the roller coaster part! :)  Being a mom is truly a blessing.  It is a challenge everyday, but it is sooo worth it!!

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome! Good for you for putting yourself out there and also for being such a great mom to those girls :)

    ReplyDelete