Friday, January 31, 2014

Flu season is upon us!!

This time of year is never any fun.  The weather is miserable and sickness is running rampant.  Everyone understands this.  What people don't always understand is how serious some of these sicknesses are.

Working in the health care field has opened my eyes to so much.  I have lost people close to me, but working in a hospital has truly shown me how quickly peoples lives can change.  In the past couple months, I have seen normally healthy people be intubated and put on ventilators because of the flu/H1N1.  These are young people…even kids.  It is so scary to see how quickly these people can go downhill.  

What really irks me, is that I come home from taking care of these people to find someone posting on Facebook about how the flu can't be that bad, the flu shot is bad for you, etc.  People have NO CLUE how bad the flu can be.  I strongly urge everyone to take every precaution.  Avoid other sick people (don't take your kids to a hospital to visit sick people), constantly wash your hands, drink lots of water, take your vitamins, and get some sleep!! :)  Get the flu shot and be educated. 

Every little thing can make a difference.  If your kid is sick at all, keep them home to rest and recover.  Do not take them to school.  Not only will it take them longer to recover, but they will infect everyone else.  I just want everyone to take care of themselves and be healthy!! 

Check out these sites for more info-

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/flu/downloads/PL-dis-influenza-color-office.pdf

1 comment: