Monday, January 27, 2014

Be WEIRD!

I always wanted to be mom.   A mom of all girls….not exactly.  God had his own plans, though, and I am now the mother of two beautiful girls.  These girls are my everything.  I have truly discovered what a mother's love is all about.  Anything your child feels, you feel 1000 fold.  When they are happy, you are elated.  When they are sad/hurt/sick/etc, your world is a wreck.  A couple years ago, my oldest told me that someone at school had called her weird.  In my head, I was thinking that kid was stupid…not exactly mature, I know, but I did NOT say this out loud.  Instead, I told her that it was cool to be weird.  She wasn't convinced.  So, I asked her if it would be boring if everyone liked the same thing, looked the same, etc.  She said yes.  I informed her that we are all different.  Sometimes, if we do something differently than someone else, they may think we are weird.  That isn't bad; it is okay.  Over the years, we have embraced this theory that it is cool to be weird.  Life is more fun!  She has had people call her weird, tell her they didn't want to be friends, and even call her names.  It happens in childhood….it even happens in adulthood.  Every time she tells me, it breaks my heart.  I try to keep it as positive as I can, but in life, not everyone gets along.   All you can do is be nice and stay away from the "mean" people.  It is much easier to say it than to actually do it.  I just want her to be happy and to surround herself with positive (and weird) people.  I want her to be herself and be proud of who she is, no matter what.  I don't want her to be worried about what everyone thinks about her or the way she dresses.  Goodness gracious, being a mommy is hard work!! I struggle on a daily basis with whether I say or do the right thing, and I have so many years ahead of me.  I will continue being "weird" and having dance parties in the car on the way to school.  I will dance and sing with my daughters in the store.  I will make funny faces and talk in strange voices to make them laugh.  I will be myself, and, yes, I am weird.  Being told you are weird is now a compliment in our house.  I want my kids to know that it is okay not to conform to what is "normal".  It is okay to be WEIRD! Embrace it!!  Be yourself and love yourself!!  Be WEIRD!!! :)


1 comment:

  1. awesome dream! and might I say you're doing an excellent job homie! Because your kids are AWESOME (and WEIRD and I LOVE THEM! (probably because I'm weird too! lol)) :) Meeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

    ReplyDelete